Monday, February 22, 2010

Oh, Olympics!

So, I admit it. I am an Olympic junkie. I check the medal count. I plan my gym time around television coverage because I think it's extra motivating to work out while I watch Apollo speed skate. The same thing happens every two years. And then when it ends...I go through withdrawals.

Tonight, after my treadmill workout and analysis of Bob Costas' wardrobe,; I'm sitting warm and cozy on my couch watching the ski jump. This is one of my favorite Olympic events because the skiers come so close to flying. How could you not want to do a sport where you take turns gracefully sailing through the air?

If you pay attention to the coverage, NBC often shows the stats of the athlete: age, height, and weight. Now, I'm not so sure I'd want my weight posted for the entire world to see, but I suppose if you're an Olympic-class athlete you get used to being judged by numbers.

I couldn't help but notice how tall and light all of the ski jumpers were...so upon a little research I learned that body weight is so crucial a factor in the jump that a mere 2.2 pounds weight loss could mean 6-13 feet further in the jump. There have been publicized cases of anorexia and bulimia among the jumpers, and yes that does include men. Although we often associate eating disorders with women, men are not immune to the pressures.

When working with clients - whether it's for sports nutrition or weight loss - I never create meal plans under 1200 calories for women or 1500 for men. Eating too few calories, especially with intense exercise will have serious consequences on the body including muscle and bone density loss and increased risk of injury and illness.

If you think about it, our bodies use calories from food for energy, and athletic performance requires large amounts of energy. This energy must come from somewhere - so the body will eventually start to breakdown.

Take Home Message: Don't starve your body! You’ll pay for it!

Fortunately, new rules are being enforced to encourage ski jumpers to either gain some weight! All I know is that I would rather participate in a sport where I could eat as much as Michael Phelps.

No comments:

Post a Comment