Monday, March 1, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner

Breakfast is (hands down) my favorite meal of the day. I have in fact, eaten it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner before. Yes, I went one day where I only ate breakfasts. And it was a very, very good day.

What stirs my heart for said meal? I think it's a combination of the scrumptious options so often available at breakfast. It could also be the fact that I love waking up hungry and being able to really enjoy a meal. Breakfast is just that - breaking the fast. In reality, we all really should be waking up and feeling hungry. If we stopped snacking at least 4 hours before heading to bed, it would give our body the time to use up the calories from our last meal, so that in the morning we need refueling.

My ode to breakfast today was inspired by my dinner this evening. Growing up, it was always such a treat to have "breakfast for dinner night". We would have pancakes, eggs, bacon...and if we were really lucky the pancakes would be shaped like Minnie Mouse - earrings and all.

Tonight, I made breakfast for my family - a gigantic oven-baked omelette. It's always a favorite and really simple.

Beat:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
4 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp salt

Pour into cookie sheet, lined with very well-greased aluminum foil. Add any toppings you want - I usually do 1 cup of mixed green pepper and onion (but save cheese until after it comes out of the oven)

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Then add any shredded cheese. Lift the edge of the narrow side of the aluminum foil and roll the omelette. Slice into fourths.
Voila, omelette out of the oven!!

Breakfast is so tasty and important that we can eat it for any meal! Hope you get a chance to try the omelette, and share in my breakfast love.

No comments:

Post a Comment