Thursday, March 18, 2010

An Apple a Day


If a day goes by and I don’t eat an apple, I feel weird. I can’t put my finger on it, but I just have to find an apple. My personal favorite is the Granny Smith - There’s just something about that crisp, tangy flavor. The average American eats about 120 apples a year, but I’m pretty sure I eat close to 350.

So why write an ode to the apple?

A medium-sized apple (150g) contains 4 grams of fiber. Both soluble (lowers cholesterol) and insoluble fiber (keeps your intestines moving, reduces colon cancer risk).

No fat, cholesterol, or sodium means that it is an excellent choice for a snack or something sweet after a meal.

My good friend's 5-yr old son asked me at breakfast this morning if I knew that an apple was nature’s toothbrush? So young, and yet so wise. Tannins, especially present in the skins, are good for tooth and gum health.

One of the major antioxidants in apples is called quercetin. This super-member of the flavanoid family fights free radicals - preventing risk of cancer, heart attacks, and possibly controlling asthma.

Are you convinced yet??

If I’m not noshing down on a whole apple, I also enjoy it as an accessory to my oatmeal, yogurt, diced up into chicken salad, or in the form of *sigh* apple chips. Mmmmm….

I’m including a delicious quesadilla recipe from the Whole Foods website. Apples and warm cheese…brilliant.

Apple and Cheddar Whole Wheat Quesadillas

Serves 6

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 whole wheat tortillas
1 large or 2 small apples, cored and thinly sliced
Natural cooking spray

Directions

Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over one half of each tortilla. Arrange apple slices, barely overlapping, on top of each pile of cheese then sprinkle 2 more tablespoons cheese over apples on each tortilla and fold each in half.

Generously spray a large skillet with oil spray and heat over medium high heat. Arrange half of the quesadillas in the skillet without overlapping and cook, gently flipping once, until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plates and repeat process with natural oil spray and remaining quesadillas; serve warm.

Nutrition

Per serving (about 4oz/125g-wt.): 280 calories (110 from fat), 12g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 30mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 29g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 11g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment